|Historian of the Year
|Religious History Book
|Barringer (Excellence Award)
|Newspaper & Magazine Article
| We received 742 entries, of which 109 were winners.|
NOTE: Multimedia takes in a vast array of categories within the category, i.e. poetry, art, DVD's, CD's, plays, musicals, music, fashion, dancing, re-enactments, symposiums, brochures, handouts, photography, family traditions, archaeology, etc. This is the reason that the winning entry total is so high.
the 14th Annual Salisbury Confederate Prison Symposium,
the Robert F. Hoke, Chapter No. 78, UDC, Salisbury, NC
- Helen Sharpe, Lumberton, NC
- the 1960 Hiddenite High School 50th Year Reunion Committee, Taylorsville, NC
- Rodney G. Cress, Salisbury, NC
- Edith Marie Carter, Ferguson, NC
4 winners from 30 entries.
Roaring River, NC
1 winner from 12 entries.
- Tom Warlick, Clover, SC for the WBT Briarhopper's Website and the WBT Briarhoppers Band
- Phyllis Bridges, High Point, NC, for a photo exhibit entitled, High Point: Memoir of the African American Community
- John Misenheimer, Emily F. Davis, Ellen Bentley & Carol Bentley, Charlotte, NC, for the Robert Franklin Henderson VA Marker Project
- Phoebe Pollitt, James Smith, Marilia Antunez & Paul Orkiszewski, Boone, NC, for a website entitled, North Carolina Nursing History
- Julia Taylor Ebel, Jamestown, NC, for a poetry book entitled, Mama's Wreaths
- Patsy Miller & Jennifer Sheppard, Williamston, NC, for an oral history DVD entitled, Deborah Brown and Gloria Hassell, Cousins After All
- Roberta Estes, Brighton, MI, for two historical studies entitled, (1) Beechland: Oral History Versus Historical Records; and, (2) Following the Croatoan
- Blanche L. Ledford & Brenda Kay Ledford, Hayesville, NC, for a book of poetry/prose entitled, Simplicity
- Neal D. Wilfong, Cleveland, NC, for a family reunion program entitled, A Reunion of the Descendants of William Pinkney Poovy and Sally Caroline Starr, No. 36
- Nelda L. Percival, Roach, MO, for a website entitled, Lost Colony Research Group
- Collee Riddle, Wilkesboro, NC, for a historical coloring book entitled, Whippoorwill Academy, Wilkes County, 1880
- Lynn Veach Sadler, Sanford, NC, for a historical play book entitled, The Duplin Story: An Historical Play With Music by Sam Byrd
- the Robert F. Hoke Chapter No. 78, UDC, Salisbury, NC, for the 14th Annual Salisbury Confederate Prison Symposium
- Helen Sharpe, Lumberton, NC, for the concept & development of a project entitled, Robeson Remembers
- the High Country Hospice of Alleghany County, Boone, NC, for a cookbook entitled, Meals & Memories
- Milburn Gibbs, Siler City, NC, for two unpublished media reports entitled, (1) Differing Thoughts: Women's Views of the Civil War/Women on the Home Front During the Civil War; and, (2) Dennis Brooks Speaks on 26th NC Regiment at Gettysburg
- Linda Willard, High Point, NC, obtaining a Historical Marker for the High Point Normal & Industrial Institute
- Rebecca Triplett-Johnson, Wilkesboro, NC, for a DVD entitled, Save Our Wilkes County History: Charlie Klein
- Misty Bass & Teresa Litschke, Wilkesboro, NC, for a DVD entitled, Grandin
- Vickie Cothran, Wilkesboro, NC, for a DVD & CD, entitled, A Link to the Past: Helps to Preserve Culture, Identity and History (DVD); and, James Larkin Pearson Presentation, 2011 (CD)
- Ann Rita Frazier & Fay Byrd, Wilkesboro, NC, for a DVD entitled, African-Americans in Wilkes County, NC
- Christy Earp, Wilkesboro, NC, for a DVD entitled, Northern Wilkes County
- Fay Byrd, Wilkesboro, NC, for 3 DVD's entitled, (1) Native Americans in Wilkes County, NC; (2) Ann Craighead: Veteran Persian Gulf, 1990-1991; Pharmacy; Military Service; and, (3) Ann Craighead, 1991
- the Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society, Sparta, NC, for an oral history project entitled, Alleghany Memories, Episode 1, Mildred Tomey & Pauline Jolly with Hostess, Margaret Crouse
- the Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society and the Sparta Revitalization Committee, Sparta, NC, for the Sparta Historic Walking Tour
- Brad Jenkins, Laurel Springs, NC, for a play entitled, Alleghany Lives, 1859-2009
- Thelma Davis & Beth Triplett, Laurel Springs, NC, for a DVD entitled, Alleghany Methodist Episcopal Church Quarterly Conference Records
- Clark Hunter, Sparta, NC, for his work with Mountain Topics (Television Series)
28 winners from 71 entries. Winning entries included: DVD's, CD's, poetry books, play books, a symposium, coloring book, photo exhibits, brochures, pamphlets, websites, interviews, oral histories, historic reports, walking tours, television shows, cookbooks, acquisition of government gravestone markers,historic markers, musicals, etc.
- The Lost Colony Research Group based in Brighton, MI, Roberta Estes, President.
- The Family Research Society of Northeastern North Carolina, Inc., Elizabeth City, NC, Sharon R. Gable, President
2 winners from 18 entries.
- Bertie Burleson, Newland, NC, for the Avery Post
- JMartin Productions, John & Teresa Litschke, Video Producers/Publishers, Elkin, NC
- Micki Cabaniss, Asheville, NC, for Grateful Steps, Inc.
- Jeff Halsey, President, Imaging Specialists, Inc., Sparta, NC
4 winners from 22 entries.
- Carolina Trees & Branches by the Family Research Society of Northeastern North Carolina, Inc., Elizabeth City, NC, Allum S. Williams & Ruth P. Parks, Co-Editors
- Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society Quarterly by the Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society, Charlotte, NC, Mary Utting & Ellen Poteet, Co-Editors
2 winners from 15 entries.
- the Amity Hill Spirit, Mooresville, NC, by The Amity Hill Spirit, Sarah B. Cheek, Editor
- Martin County Historical Society Quarterly Newsletter, Williamston, NC, Jennifer Sheppard, Editor
- the Prison Exchange by the Salisbury Confederate Prison Association, Inc., Salisbury, NC, Edison C."Ed" Curtis, Editor
- the Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society, Inc. Newsletter, by the Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society, Inc., Sparta, NC
- Balsam Roots by the Haywood County Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc., Waynesville, NC, Dot Bynum, Editor
- Lost Colony Research Group Newsletter, the Lost Colony Research Group, Brighton, MI, Roberta Estes, Editor
6 winners from 26 entries.
- Allen Paul Speer, Banner Elk, NC, for a book entitled, From Banner Elk to Boonville, The Voices Trilogy: Part 3
1 winner from 9 entries.
- Charles Fletcher, Cleveland, TN, for The Sheriff
- Betty J. Vaughn, Raleigh, NC, for Muddy Waters
- Kate Clay Bodeen, Sparta, NC, for Pat Crisp: Like A Moth To A Flame
- Carolyn Guy, Vilas, NC, for Autumn Bends the Rebel Tree
- Larry Morgan, Winston-Salem, NC, for Ivy
5 winners from 17 entries.
- Hattie May Best Polk, Waynesville, NC, for Out of My Life and Reflections
- Charles Fletcher, Cleveland, TN, for (1) Out West and Back; and (2) The Panther on Cold Mountain and Other Stories
- Sara Queen Brown, Clyde, NC, for Ancestors & Descendants of Sam Love Queen and Glee Clark Queen
- Lorene Sturgill, Piney Creek, NC, for Descendants of William Black & Nancy Allison
- Ronald Halsey, Jeff Halsey & Claire Halsey, Sparta, NC, for Family Photos - Eli Hamilton Halsey & Lillian Blanche Smith
- Frank & Ann Melton, Waynesville, NC, for Lambert Pritchard Melton & Lona Kilby Melton Family: Their Ancestors & Descendants With Allied Lines of Mull & Parker
- Allen Paul Speer, Banner Elk, NC, for From Banner Elk to Boonville - The Voices Trilogy: Part 3
- Carroll C. Jones, Pace, FL, for Captain Lenoir's Diary: Tom Lenoir and His Civil War Company From Western North Carolina
8 winners from 22 entries.
Award-Winning Authors Are:
- Jimmie Daniels, Newland, NC (2 articles)
- Herlyn O'Neal Mack-Gavin, Lumberton, NC
- John Floyd, Four Oaks, NC
- Alice G. Briley & Helen R. Williams, Lumberton, NC
- Sue J. Curtis, Salisbury, NC
- Linda R. Willard, High Point, NC (2 articles)
- Michael C. Hardy, Crossnore, NC (7 articles)
- Carol Brooks, High Point, NC (5 articles)
- John Earl Ferguson Misenheimer, III, Charlotte, NC (4 articles)
- Alice Aiken, Gastonia, NC
- the late John M. Brown, Cleveland, NC
- Sarah B. Cheek, Davidson, NC (2 articles)
- Lake Knapp, Davidson, NC (3 articles)
- Neal D. Wilfong, Cleveland, NC (4 articles)
- K. Blake Tyner, Pembroke, NC
- Janet Morrison, Harrisburg, NC, (9 articles)
- Jay Ashley, Burlington, NC
- Phoebe Pollitt, Boone, NC (3 articles)
18 winners from 398 entries.
- Wayne Shaw, Seymour, IN, for Deserters of June 5 Registration (Draft Dodgers) and Registrants of August 24, 1918 Registration
- Charles Fletcher, Cleveland, IN, for The Panther on Cold Mountain and Other Stories
- Carroll C. Jones, Pace, FL, for Captain Lenoir's Diary
- Allen Paul Speer, Banner Elk, NC, for From Banner Elk to Boonville - The Voices Trilogy, Part 3
- Robin Spencer Lattimore, Rutherfordton, NC, for Rural Splendor - Plantation Houses of the Carolinas
- Robin Spencer Lattimore & Leslie M. Bush, Rutherfordton, NC, for Remembering Green Creek: The Heritage of a Rural Community
- Neal D. Wilfong, Cleveland, NC, for Memorials & Tributes: Obituaries from the Amity Hill Spirit, 2009 - 2011,Volume Two
- Michael C. Hardy, Crossnore, NC, for (1) The Fifty-Eighth North Carolina Troops - Tar Heels in the Army of Tennessee, (2) North Carolina Remembers Gettysburg
- Ann Greenleaf Wirtz, Hendersonville, NC, for The Henderson County Curb Market - A Blue Ridge Heritage Since 1924
- Randell Jones, Winston-Salem, NC, for (1) A Guide to the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, (2) Before They Were Heroes at King's Mountain
- Kevin Reynolds, Matthews, NC, for Native North Carolina - The What, Why and Where of Native American Place Names
- James Edward White, III, Trent Woods, NC, Portsmouth Island: A Walk in the Past
- Carl Lamm, Smithfield, NC, for Sixty-Three Years on the Air - My Life and Times
- Chris J. Hartley, Pfafftown, NC, for Stoneman's Raid, 1865
- Larry Richard Clark, Morganton, NC, for Spanish Attempt to Colonize Southeast North America, 1513 - 1587
- Jeff & Claire Halsey, Laurel Springs, NC, for Regimental History of the 26th NC Infantry
- Laura Hope-Gill & Michael Oppenheim, Asheville, NC, for Look Up Asheville
- Fay Byrd, Roaring River, NC, for Wilkes County Bits and Pieces
- Robert D. Tompkins & Donald R. Beagle, Belmont, NC, for The Life and Times of Ralph Ray, Jr.
- Andrew Thomas Powell, North Devon, England, for Grenville & the Lost Colony of Roanoke
- Marie Benge Craig Roth, Mocksville, NC, for History of Davie County Schools
- Rob Hunter & Luke Beckerdite, Yorktown, VA, for Ceramics in America, Volume 2009 and Volume 2010
24 winning history books from 71 entries.
• the Amity Hill Spirit for their generous contribution of hiring a professional Scottish Highland Piper, Dave McKenzie, to play the bagpipes at our 2011 banquet. The music added so much to our opening ceremony.
• Ralph Dagenhart from Richard's Coffee House in Mooresville, NC. Ralph made arrangements for the "Presentation of Colors" at our opening ceremony. We had one flag with three branches of the Armed Services, each represented by one individual in uniform. The three gentlemen participating in this event were: Sgt. Ralph Dagenhart, US Army, 2 years, 1 in Vietnam; 1st Sgt Jim Kiger, US Air Force (retired); Sr. Master Chief David Phillips, US Navy (retired) service on submarine and surface ships; served the last three years in the White House.
• Sarah Cheek made a donation to The Spirit which, in tum, donated this contribution to the VFW in honor of her uncle, John Lee Sipes, Jr. (US Navy), a veteran of World War II (1943-1945), in thanks to the veterans represented above.
• Neva Coker for a new podium.
• Sarah Cheek & Neva Coker for the beautiful chrysanthemums that donned each side of the podium; flowers that were generously placed in the President's car at the end of the meeting as a most welcome surprise!