|Historian of the Year
|Religious History Book
|Barringer (Excellence Award)
|Newspaper & Magazine Article
| We received 964 entries, of which 757 were eligible. Of the 757, 105 are winners.|
NOTE: Multimedia takes in a vast array of categories within the category, i.e. poetry, art, DVD's, CD's, plays, musicals, music, fashion, dancing, re-enactments, symposiums, brochures, handouts, photography, family traditions, archaeology, etc. This is the reason that the winning entry total is so high.
GRETCHEN GRIFFITH for
Called to the Mountains - The Story of Jean L. Frese
- Andrew L. Mackie
- Chowan Discovery Group,
Marvin T. Jones, Executive Director
- Carl White
- Jerry Lankford
- Ken Welborn
- Larry J. Griffin
6 winners from 21 eligible of 24 entries.
Kevin P. Duffus
1 winner from 19 entries.
- Imaging Specialists, Inc. for Emma Jean’s Blue Ridge Almanac 2014
- Kelley St. Germain for a DVD entitled, Visions Of Avery - Cemeteries
- Kelley St. Germain for a DVD entitled, Visions Of Ashe - Musical Roots
- K.I.M. Publishing for a map entitled, Chimney Rock’s Early Landowners
- Ken Welborn for an event venue entitled, The Record Park
- Jerry Lankford for an event venue entitled, The Record Park
- Heather Dean for an event venue entitled, The Record Park
- The Record for a booklet entitled, Americana Day 2013
- The Record for a booklet entitled, 2013 Salute To Veterans
- The Record for a souvenir program entitled, Otto Wood: The Bandit, 2014
- Heather Dean for Directing Of Otto Wood: The Bandit, 2014
- Julia Beard Garrett for a souvenir booklet entitled, Thomas Melmoth Beard, Dedication Of Monument, Bethesda Presbyterian Church
- Rev. Robert Q. Beard for a souvenir booklet entitled, Thomas Melmoth Beard, Dedication Of Monument, Bethesda Presbyterian Church
- Carrie Beard for a souvenir booklet entitled, Thomas Melmoth Beard, Dedication Of Monument, Bethesda Presbyterian Church
- Neal D. Wilfong for a souvenir booklet entitled, The 39th Poovey Family Reunion, The Descendants Of William P. Poovy & Sally C. Starr
- Neal D. Wilfong for a souvenir booklet entitled, Veteran’s Sunday, Bethesda Presbyterian Church, Statesville, NC
- Robert F. Hoke Chapter No. 78, UDC - Mrs. Edison C. Curtis, Symposium Chairman for The 17th Annual Salisbury Confederate Prison Symposium
- The Lt. Col. John Phifer Chapter Of The NC Society Of The SAR, John Misenheimer, II, President for The Phifer Graveyard Restoration, Dedication And Wreath Laying Ceremony
- Donald Devet for a video entitled, Timeline: History Transformed Into Art
- Sandra Hooper for a funeral service booklet entitled, The Celebration In Remembrance Of The Life Of Mr. Walter Biven Hooper, Sr.
- Katherine Bartel for a DVD entitled, Cataloochee
- Haywood County Historical And Genealogical Society for a DVD entitled, Cataloochee
- The Friends Of Mountain History, Willa Wyatt, Chair, for a guidebook entitled, Western North Carolina Museum Guide
- Richard Hurley for a CD entitled, My Mountains, My Songs
- Carl Colglazier for a DVD documentary entitled, Cary
- Phyllis Bridges for a historical video entitled, High Point: A Memoir Of The African American Community
- Cedric Livingston for a historical video entitled, High Point: A Memoir Of The African American Community
- Carl White for a DVD entitled, Shelby: Music, Mush & More
- Carl White for a television show entitled, Life In The Carolinas
We had 60 entries in this category, of which 49 were eligible, with 23 winners.
- Friends of Portsmouth Island, Richard Meissner, President
- Friends of The Page-Walker Hotel, Bob Myers, President
- Friends of Mountain History
We had 19 entries of which 16 were eligible, with 3 winners.
- The Amity Hill Spirit, Sarah Cheek, Editor
- Eric Millsaps for The Statesville Record & Landmark
- Greg Anderson for The Salisbury Post
- Ken Welborn for The Record Of Wilkes
We had 32 entries of which 27 were eligible. Only 4 were recognized.
- Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society for The Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society Quarterly, Mary Utting & Ellen Poteet, Co-Editors
- Friends Of The NC Maritime Museum for The Maritimes, John Hairr, Editor
We had 21 entries of which 17 were eligible. Only 2 were winners.
- Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society for The Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society Newsletter, Jeff Halsey, Editor
- The Amity Hill Spirit for The Amity Hill Spirit, Sarah Cheek, Editor
- Salisbury Confederate Prison Association, Inc. for The Prison Exchange, Edison C. Curtis, Editor
- Haywood County Historical & Genealogical Society for Balsam Roots, Dot Barnum, Editor
- Friends Of The Page-Walker Hotel for The Innkeeper, Brent Miller & Leesa Brinkley, Co-Editors
We had 28 entries of which 28 were eligible. 5 were recognized.
- Gretchen Griffith for Called To The Mountains, The Story Of Jean L. Frese
- Robin S. Lattimore for How Firm A Foundation, The Story Of Tryon Presbyterian Church, Tryon, NC
We had 15 entries of which 14 were eligible. 2 was recognized.
- Leanna Sain for Magnolia Blossoms
- Charles C. Fletcher for Little Sam Mountain, Living Their Dream
- Anna Shelton Black for The Healing Of Ivy Rose
- Rose Senehi for Dancing On Rocks
- Haskell A. Davis for The Unmarked Grave
We had 22 entries of which 17 were eligible. 5 were winners.
- Rex Redmon for Threads Of Silver, Human Interest Stories That Capture Your Heart, An Open Window To Six Generations Of Silver Family History
- Eva Nell Mull Wike for Attuned To The Life And Times Of Johnny Mull
- Louisa Emmons for Tales From A Civil War Plantation: Creekside
- Claude Vernon Medlin, Jr. for Avera And Allied Founding Families Of Averasboro, NC, 5th Edition
We had 14 entries of which 14 were eligible. 4 were winners.
- Shook Museum At The Shook-Smathers House
- Cary Heritage Museum
We had 18 entries of which 16 were eligible. 2 were winners.
- John Hairr for: Adventure On The Carolina Coast
- Carol Brooks for: Railroads Crucial In Development Of Towns; Quaker Meeting Has Deep Roots, And John Sherwood, A Man Ahead Of His Time
- Jerry Lankford for: America’s Last Civil War Pension Going To Wilkes Native
- Neal D. Wilfong for: Memorials & Tributes, A Series
- Linda Willard for: General James Green Martin; Buffalo City, NC; Hugh Williamson; Diana Harris Foster
- Lars Christopher Adams for: Sundry Murders And Depredations, ‘A Closer Look At The Chowan River War, 1676-1677'
- Randell Jones for: The Daniel Boone Wagon Train - A Journey Through The ‘SIXTIES’
- Larry J. Griffin for: The Hanging Of James Byers, A Series
- Miles Allyn Jordan for: In Loving Memory Of George “SONNY” Barron
Smith: January 25, 1930 - May 10, 2012
- Frank Beaver for: The Moses & Rena Beaver Family, 1941
- Ruby M. Beaver for: Reminiscing: School Daze; And, A Voice From The Hill: Randy Beaver
- Lois B. Brown for: My Grandfather: Mack Lester Beckham
- Sarah B. Cheek for: Eva Mae Bentley Cheek: A Tribute; In Remembrance: Frances Louise Allison Gilbert Harris; Voices From The Hill: The 1938 Bethesda Youth League Quilt Revisited
- Gail Hooper for: Voices From The Hill: David Jones Parker
- Dianne-Rankin Sanders for: A Voice From The Hill: Alma Jean Rankin Ivery
- Delois Winford for: A Special Welcome For Rev. Eulando Henton
- G. Keith Parker for: Williams, Religious Forefather, Led Radical Reforms; A State Church Ignores Our Roots, And Williams Helped Balance Church-State Tension
We had 620 entries of which 452 were eligible. The work of 17 writers, in 27 aticles, is being recognized as winners this year.
- David K. Eliades for: Hail To UNCP! - A 125-Year History Of The University Of North Carolina At Pembroke
- Lawrence T. Locklear for: Hail To UNCP! - A 125-Year History Of The University Of North Carolina At Pembroke
- Linda E. Oxendine for: Hail To UNCP! - A 125-Year History Of The University Of North Carolina At Pembroke
- Friends Of The Page-Walker Hotel for Cary Through The Years
- James E. White, III for School Mom Of Portsmouth: Memories Of Lucy Beacham Gilgo
- David La Vere for: The Tuscarora War - Indian Settlers And The Fight For The Carolina Colonies
- Wilt Browning for: Nothing Finer - North Carolina’s Sports History
And The People Who Made It
- Douglas J. Butler for: North Carolina Civil War Monuments - An Illustrated History
- Johnny Turner With Gretchen Griffith for: Wheels & Moonshine - The Stories And Adventures Of Claude B. Minton
- Phoebe Pollitt for: The History Of Professional Nursing In North Carolina, 1902-2002
- James E. White, III for: Years Of Light, V. 3 - History Of St. John’s Lodge No. 3 - Ancient Free And Accepted Masons, New Bern, NC 1974-2012
- Brenda Chambers McKean for: Blood And War At My Doorstep: Nc Civilians In The War Between The States, V.2
- Mark I. Pinsky for: Met Her On The Mountain - A Forty-Year Quest To Solve The Appalachian Cold-Case Murder Of Nancy Morgan
- Lawrence Koster for: The Post Offices Of Moore County, Nc - A List Of More Than 150 Post Offices, With Information And Postmaster Names
- Kevin P. Duffus for: The Last Days Of Black Beard - The Pirate - 4th Edition
- Kevin P. Duffus for: The Lost Light - A Civil War Mystery
- Robin Spencer Lattimore for: 75th Anniversary - A Legacy Of Service - A History Of The Rutherford County Library, 1938-2013
- The Late Freeman Irby Stephens, MD for: A History Of Medicine In Asheville
- Alex Albright for: The Forgotten First: B-1 And The Integration Of The Modern Navy
- Rex Redmon for: Beaverdam - Historic Valley Of The Blue Ridge Mountains - A Nostalgic Look At A Valley And Its People
- Rex Redmon for: Tragedy On Toe River, 1831
- Rex Redmon for: Letters & Battles Of The NC 58th Infantry Regiment, 1861-1865, Civil War Men Of Mitchell & Yancey Counties - How They Lived, Fought And Died
- T. P. Fletcher for: Memories From Thickety
We had 72 entries of which 67 were eligible. We have 21 winners.