|Historians of the Year
Historians of the Year
by 17 authors
|Award of Excellence
|Historical Book Award
by 19 entrants
| NOTE: Multimedia takes in a vast array of categories within the category, i.e. poetry, art, DVD's, CD's, plays, musicals, music, fashion, dancing, re-enactments, symposiums, brochures, handouts, photography, family traditions, archaeology, etc. This is the reason that the winning entry total is so high.|
- EDISON C. “ED” CURTIS
- SUE CURTIS
2 winners from 13 entries.
CARROLL C. JONES for
- CHRISTOPHER HUNT ROBERTSON
- JOHN MATTHEWS
- ANNIE MATTHEWS
- KELLEY ST. GERMAIN
4 winners from 13 eligible entries.
- LABDHI SHAH of Wadesboro, NC for a project that concentrates on four aspects of North Carolina history
Labdhi states, “In my project, I used the three things that are necessary to live on the planet Earth: air, water and land. I displayed all of the pieces of craftwork on a large cutting of plastic board to make it look like a realistic scene. I did this by painting the plastic board, cutting cardboard to make the pieces and then using construction paper and sticks to give it the ‘pop-up’ effect. The White House is located in the land, the battleship is located in the water, and the lighthouse is on the shore, and the plane is in the sky. I chose these pieces for my project because they have played a significant part in the history of NC. A description of each piece is provided on a separate sheet of paper. I have dedicated a lot of time and hard work into making this project…”
- LANDEN MULLIS, of Rockwell, NC for a historic video entitled, THE CHICAMACOMICO LIFE-SAVING STATION
Landen states, “I simply chose my project out of choice and no particular reason. It took me long hours of research and hard work, well spent on this project. I don’t think I deserve recognition, but I’d like to receive recognition to help show others that with hard work and determination you can accomplish anything.”
- KAMRYN MULLIS, age 16, of Rockwell, NC, for a researched report entitled, THE INSPIRATIONAL LIFE OF A SLAVE GIRL
“My project is a paper telling the story of the life of a slave girl, Harriet Jacobs. I chose this subject because while trying to decide what to write about, the life of Harriet Jacobs really grabbed my attention. I did book and internet research and various revisions to my paper. I’d appreciate recognition for my project because of the hard work and countless hours I’ve put into this paper. Also I feel Miss Jacob’s story was one that needed to be told."
- JACKSON DAVID POULNOTT, 18, of Wadesboro, NC, for a video entitled, SHERMAN’S MARCH THROUGH ANSON COUNTY
- The Blue Ridge National Heritage Area, Angie Chandler, Executive Director, of Asheville, NC, for a brochure entitled,
TRAIL MAP, BLUE RIDGE HERITAGE TRAIL
- Imaging Specialists, Inc., of Sparta, NC, Jeff and Claire Halsey, for an almanac entitled, EMMA JEAN’S BLUE RIDGE ALMANAC, 2016.
Imaging Specialists, Inc., PO Box 533, Sparta, NC 28675. Phone: 336-372-3002.
- Imaging Specialists, Inc. and NAPCO, of Sparta, NC, for a photo exhibit entitled, ALLEGHANY IMAGES.
Imaging Specialists, Inc., PO Box 533, Sparta, NC 28675
NAPCO, 120 Trojan Avenue, Sparta, NC 28675
Alleghany Historical Museum, 7 N Main Street, Sparta, NC 28675
- Neal Wilfong of Cleveland, NC, for the following booklets: (A) BETHESDA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HOMECOMING, 2015; (B) THE 65TH NORTH CAROLINA YODER REUNION; (C) THE 22ND OVERCASH REUNION; (D) IN WAR AND IN PEACE … BETHESDA VETERAN’S SUNDAY; (E) THE DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM PINKNEY POOVY (POOVEY) AND SALLY CAROLINE STARR.
- The Bethel Rural Community Organization's Historic Preservation Committee of Waynesville, NC, for a DVD entitled, FROM NEW COLLEGE TO SPRINGDALE.
BRCO, PO Box 1333, Waynesville, NC 28786
Ted Carr, 1812 McClure Creek Road, Canton, NC 28716
Evelyn Coltman, 90 Evergreen Circle, Waynesville, NC 28786
Douglas Chambers, 609 Murray Road, Canton, NC 28716
Richard Alexander, PO Box 1333, Waynesville, NC 28786
- Kelley St. Germain of Jefferson, NC, for a video series entitled, BACK WHEN STORIES.
- Episode 2 of BACK WHEN STORIES
- Episode 1 of BACK WHEN STORIES
Kelley St. Germain, PO Box 1105, Jefferson, NC 28640. Phone: 336-620-2000. Email: email@example.com
- Carl White of Charlotte, NC, for the following shows: (A) THE PIRATES OF OCRACOKE, (B) CHRISTMAS 2015, WINSTON-SALEM, (C) CHRISTMAS, 2015, FOREST CITY, (D) HOLLERIN’: THE NATIONAL HOLLERING CONTEST 2015, for LIFE IN THE CAROLINAS TV; AND, a video entitled, (E) COPPER BARREL DISTILLERY for WHITE MANOR PRODUCTIONS.
View on YouTube or at www.lifeinthecarolinas.com
Carl White, Executive Producer, Life in the Carolinas TV, 7804 Fairview Road, #236, Charlotte, NC 28226. Email: Carl@lifeinthecarolinas.com . Website: www.lifeinthecarolinas.com . Check them out on YouTube, also.
Carl White, White Manor Productions. Open Mon-Sun, 8-5. Phone: 336-818-2585. Website: www.whitemanorproductions.com .
- Tim Stevens of Garner, NC, for a PLAY and a PLAYBILL (booklet) entitled, MORE THAN A NAME.
Tim Stevens, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Brenda Kay Ledford of Hayesville, NC, for a BLOG entitled, BLUE RIDGE POET.
Email: email@example.com .
- The Woman's Club of Williamston of Williamston, NC, Ms. Phyllis J. Broughton, President, for a COOKBOOK entitled, TASTE OF WILLIAMSTON, 90TH ANNIVERSARY, THE WOMAN’S CLUB OF WILLIAMSTON, 1925-2015.
The Woman’s Club of Williamston, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Wilkes Heritage Museum of Wilkesboro, NC, Jennifer H. Furr, Director, for a booklet entitled, BLUE RIDGE MUSIC HALL OF FAME, 2015.
Jennifer H. Furr, Director, Wilkes Heritage Museum, 100 East Main Street, Wilkesboro, NC 28697.
- Randell Jones and the Forget-Me-Nots of Winston-Salem and Banner Elk, NC, respectively, for a video entitled THE AMERICAN SPIRIT – 1780.
- Harriet R. Schroeder of Mooresville, NC, for a FAMILY HISTORY BOOKLET entitled, WILLIAM FEIMSTER [OF IREDELL COUNTY].
Email: email@example.com .
- Louisa Emmons of Morganton, NC, for a book representing a lyrical history of Appalachia entitled, MORNING COMES TO APPALACHIA.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Mary Katherine Sherrill Lowder of Clemmons, NC, and Nancy Sherrill Wilson of Mebane, NC, for a booklet entitled, HOME PLACE of ROBERT LEE “BOB” HOLDEN and MARY DRUSILLA TAYLOR HOLDEN, Speedwell, Jackson County, NC.
Mary Katherine Sherrill Lowder, Email: email@example.com . Nancy Sherrill Wilson, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Bud Mitchell and Larry Griffin for an ART INSTALLATION and NEWS ESSAY entitled: THE LEGACY OF BUD MITCHELL: A RETROSPECTIVE.
Julia C. Turpin, Wilkes County Public Library, 215 10th Street, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659. Phone: 336-838-2818, Ext. 241. FAX: 336-667-2638. Email: email@example.com
Exhibit dates: 4 November – 4 December 2015.
- Zack Clark Allen of Crossnore, NC, for an internet website entitled, www.Christianharmony1873.org .
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Timothy Worsham of Hendersonville, NC, for illustrations in a book by Marci Spencer entitled, POTLUCK.
- the Robert F. Hoke Chapter No. 78, United Daughters of the Confederacy of Salisbury, NC, for the 19TH ANNUAL SALISBURY CONFEDERATE PRISON SYMPOSIUM, Sue J. Curtis, Chairman, Ed Curtis, Assistant Chairman.
The Robert F. Hoke Chapter No. 78, UDC, PO Box 83, Salisbury, NC 28145-0083.
Mr. & Mrs. Edison C. Curtis (Sue), Email: email@example.com .
- Rebecca Triplett-Johnson of North Wilkesboro, NC, for a PHOTOJOURNAL DOCUMENTARY and POEM entitled, CAROLINA HEARTBREAK: SHADOWS OF THE CIVIL WAR.
Watch this photojournal documentary. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Phone: 336-957-7753. Office: 336-667-0134. Phone/Fax: 336-696-4462.
We had 113 entries in this category, with 105 eligible. We had 29 winning entries by 19 entrants.
- The Family Research Society of Northeastern North Carolina, Inc. of Elizabeth City, NC, Sharon Gable, President.
Family Research Society of Northeastern North Carolina, Inc., PO Box 1425, Elizabeth City, NC 27906-1425. OR … 410 E. Main Street, Suite 204, Elizabeth City, NC. Phone: 252-333-1640.
We had 11 entries of which 7 were eligible, with 1 winner.
- Bertie Burleson of Newland, NC, for the AVERY POST.
Email: AveryPost@yahoo.com . Email: email@example.com .
- Imaging Specialists, Inc. of Sparta, NC, Jeff Halsey and Claire Halsey.
Imaging Specialists, Inc., PO Box 533, Sparta, NC 28675. Jeff Halsey, President. Graphic Design, Digital Printing, Website Development. Phone: 336-372-3002.
We had 15 entries of which 14 were eligible. Only 2 were recognized.
- Wilkes County Public Library of North Wilkesboro, NC, Julia C. Turpin, County Librarian.
Mara Lynn Tugman, Adult Services Librarian, Wilkes County Public Library, 215 Tenth Street, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659. Phone: 336-838-2818, Ext. 242. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .. Ms. Julia Turpin, County Librarian.
- World Methodist Museum of Lake Junaluska, NC. Jackie Bolden, Museum Director.
Jackie Bolden, Museum Director and Editor of Saddlebag Notes. World Methodist Museum, PO Box 518, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745.
- Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachians, Cherokee, NC, Alen Baker, President.
Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachians, 516 Tsali Blvd, Cherokee, NC 28719. Alen Baker, President, 13400 Hiwassee Road, Huntersville, NC 28078.
We had 12 entries of which 10 were eligible. Only 3 were recognized.
- Larry Griffin of Wilkesboro, NC, for a series of articles written for THE RECORD OF WILKES, appearing in print from December 2015 to February 2016. This series is entitled, ON A WHITE HORSE: THE BALLAD OF HENDERSON WAUGH.
THE RECORD OF WILKES, 911 Main Street, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659 – Jerry Lankford, Editor-in-Chief. Articles ran from December 2015 to February 2016.
- Carl White of Charlotte, NC, for the following articles: (A) DOOR KNOBS, HISTORY AND ROADS SELDOM TAKEN, (B) BAGPIPES, TREE TOSSING AND TRADITIONS, (C) MULES, A MEMORY AND A LONG JOURNEY, (D) UMBRELLAS, AN INVITATION TO COME BACK AND BASEBALL, and (E) COFFEE AND CONVERSATION IN WEST JEFFERSON.
- Neal Wilfong of Cleveland, NC, for the following article: REV. AMOS S. BILLINGSLEY: SERVANT OF GOD; and, a series entitled, MEMORIAL AND TRIBUTES.
Series appears as a ‘monthly column’ in THE AMITY HILL SPIRIT. Series runs from July 2015 through June 2016.
- Ruby Marlowe Beaver of Cleveland, NC, for an article entitled, AMITY HILL.
Article appeared in THE AMITY HILL SPIRIT, May 2016. AMITY HILL SPIRIT, PO Box 370, Mount Mourne, NC 28123.
- Lois Beckham Brown of Cleveland, NC, for an article entitled, REVEREND DAVID BROWN: 1815-1906.
Article appeared in THE AMITY HILL SPIRIT, December 2015. AMITY HILL SPIRIT, PO Box 370, Mount Mourne, NC 28123. Sarah Cheek, Editor.
- Sandra Hooper of Troutman, NC, for the following articles: (A) DORA RAMSEY WINFORD GRAY HEAGGANS: MIDWIFE AND FREE LAND TRADER [AMITY HILL SPIRIT, April 2016] and (B) ALPHABETICAL LIST OF MIDWIVES FROM THE LATE 1800’S TO MID-1900’S: INFANTS’ BIRTH YEAR AND PARENTS [AMITY HILL SPIRIT, June 2016].
- Sue M. Sherrill for an article entitled REMEMBERING AUNT DAISY & UNCLE WATT TALBERT. [THE AMITY HILL SPIRIT, November 2015].
- Sarah Cheek of Davidson, NC, for the following articles: (A) THE SESSION HOUSE AT BETHESDA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [AMITY HILL SPIRIT, August 2015]; (B) COMMUNITY HISTORIANS: LOCAL TREASURES [AMITY HILL SPIRIT, September 2015]; (C) JAMES LINCOLN HEAGGANS [AMITY HILL SPIRIT, February 2016]; (D) THE SPIRIT STANDS TALL [AMITY HILL SPIRIT, November 2015].
- The Amity Hill Spirit of Mount Mourne, NC, for a monthly newsletter entitled, THE AMITY HILL SPIRIT. Sarah Cheek, Editor.
Email: email@example.com . THE AMITY HILL SPIRIT, PO Box 370, Mount Mourne, NC 28123.
- Jennifer Bean Bower of Winston-Salem, NC, for an article entitled, “FROM TOBACCO FIELD TO BATTLEFIELD: HARVEY LEE “BUD” HICKS AND THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE. [YADKIN VALLEY LIVING, May/June Issue, 2016].
Yadkin Valley Living Magazine, 332 West Main Street, East Bend, NC 27018. Barbara Norman, Publisher/Editor.
- Mark W. Wineka of Salisbury, NC, for an article entitled, FLYIN’ LOW IN TOKYO – BILL HARTER AND THE ‘PILEDRIVER’ CREATED A BUZZ ON V-J DAY DURING WWII. [SALISBURY POST, August 31, 2015].
- Linda Willard of High Point, NC, for the following articles: (A) SHIPWRECKS OF THE NORTHERN OUTER BANKS [CAROLINA TREES AND BRANCHES, Oct. 2015]; (B) JOHN LOVICK [CTB, Oct. 2015]; (C) PEA ISLAND LIFE SAVING STATION [CTB, Oct. 2015]; (D) JOSIAH COLLINS, III [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (E) SIR RICHARD EVERARD [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (F) GEORGE ALLEN MEBANE [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (G) CHICAMACOMICO LIFE SAVING STATION [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (H) EDWARD MOSLEY [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (I) RICHARD ETHERIDGE [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (J) CURRITUCK SHOOTING CLUB [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (K) JOHN ALLEN MIDGETT, JR., AUGUST 25, 1876-FEBRUARY 1938 [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (L) LEVENE WESTCOTT MIDGETT [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (M) ERASMUS S. ‘RASMUS’ MIDGETT [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (N) JOHN BAPTISTA ASHE [CTB, April 2016]; (O) SAMUEL JOHNSON [CTB, APRIL 2016]; (P) LITTLE BANNISTER MIDGETT, III [CTB, April 2016]; (Q) ALPHEUS WALTON DRINKWATER [CTB, April 2016]; (R) EDWARD HYDE [CTB, April 2016]; (S) JOSEPH CHARLES PRICE [CTB, April 2016]; (T) NC LIFE SAVING STATIONS [CTB, April 2016]; (U) THOMAS LOVICK [CTB, April 2016]; (V) GEORGE C. DANIELS [CTB, April 2016]; (W) VALENTINE BIRD/BYRD [CTB, April 2016]; (X) LOST LIGHTS [CTB, Jan. 2016]; (Y) ANNIE WEALTHY HOLLAND [CTB, Jan. 2016].
Carolina Trees and Branches, PO Box 1425, Elizabeth City, NC 27906-1425. CTB is the official journal of the Family Research Society of Northeastern NC, Inc. Same address as CTB. Sharon Gable, Editor.
- The Prison Exchange, Official Newsletter of the SALISBURY CONFEDERATE PRISON ASSOCIATION, INC. of Salisbury, NC. Ed Curtis, Editor. Sue J. Curtis, President.
Salisbury Confederate Prison Association, Inc., PO Box 393, Salisbury, NC 28145-0393. Phone: 704-637-6411. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Saddlebag News, Official Newsletter of the WORLD METHODIST MUSEUM, Lake Junaluska, NC. Jackie Bolden, Editor.
Friends of the World Methodist Museum, PO Box 518, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745. Donald Rankin, President. Phone: 828-456-7242. Email: email@example.com . Facebook.com/worldmethodistmuseum.
- Carolina Trees & Branches, Official Journal of the FAMILY RESEARCH SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NC, INC., of Elizabeth City, NC. Allum Williams & Linda Willard, Co-Editors.
Family Research Society of Northeastern North Carolina, Inc., PO Box 1425, Elizabeth City, NC 27906-1425; 410 E. Main Street, Suite 204, Elizabeth City, NC. Phone: 252-333-1640. Sharon Gable, President.
- The Maritimes, Official Journal of the NORTH CAROLINA MARITIME MUSEUM, Beaufort, NC. John Hairr, Editor.
North Carolina Maritime Museum, 315 Front Street, Beaufort, NC 28516. Joseph K. Schwarzer, III, Director. Phone: 252-728-7317. Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras, 59200 Museum Drive, Hatteras, NC 27943. Phone: 252-986-2995. North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport, 204 E. Moore Street, Southport, NC 28461. Phone: 910-457-0003.
- Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society, Inc. Newsletter, Official Newsletter of the Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society, Inc., Sparta, NC. Jeff Halsey, Editor.
AHGS, Inc. PO Box 817, Sparta, NC 28675.
- Kinfolk, Official Journal of the ALEXANDER COUNTY ANCESTRY ASSOCIATION, INC. of Taylorsville, NC. Rosa Bradford Daniels, Editor, and Lana H. Davidson.
Alexander County Ancestry Association, Inc., PO Box 241, Hiddenite, NC 28636-0241.
- Carol Timblin of Mint Hill, NC, for a weekly column entitled, A PAGE FROM THE PAST … MINT HILL.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . The Mint Hill Times, 1425 Ionan Drive, Waxhaw, NC 28173. Jenifer Shaw, Public Relations Director. Email: email@example.com . Mailing Address: 7427 Matthews-Mint Hill Rd, Suite 105-184, Mint Hill, NC 28227. Phone: 704-243-9960. Articles appeared in the following editions…May 25, June 1, June 8, June 15, June 22, 2016.
- Joshua Shiver of Auburn, Alabama, for an article entitled, ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD: NORTH CAROLINA AND CONFEDERATE BLOCKADE RUNNING ON AN INTERNATIONAL CONTEXT.
Article published in November 2013 in THE JOURNAL OF THE NORTH CAROLINA ASSOCIATION OF HISTORIANS, Campus Box 356, Buies Creek, NC 27506. Rebecca M. Seaman, General Editor.
- Carol Brooks of High Point, NC, for the following articles: (A) PENNY’S DEALINGS PAVED THE WAY FOR NURSING HOME [Jamestown News, June 22, 2016]; (B) CHURCH FOUNDED IN JAMESTOWN CELEBRATES 190 YEARS [Jamestown News, Sept. 9, 2015]; (C) WELCOME TO JAMESTOWN – VIRGINIA [Jamestown News, June 1, 2016]; (D) GROUP TOURS LOCAL HISTORIC SITES [Jamestown News, June 8, 2016]; and, (E) NATIONAL EXPERTS STUDY LOCAL ARCHITECTURE [Jamestown News, July 1, 2015].
- Terry L. Harmon of Vilas, NC, for an article entitled, DANIEL BOONE DAYS: MARKING BOONE’S LOCAL TRAILS [High Country Press, 14 August 2008].
High Country Press, PO Box 152, Boone, NC 28607. Ken Ketchie, Publisher & Editor.
- G. Keith Parker of Brevard, NC, for an article entitled, DO WE NEED BOOKS, PAPERS AND A LIBRARY? [The Transylvania Times, December 21, 2015].
The Transylvania Times, 37 North Broad Street, Brevard, NC 28712. John Lanier, Editor.
We had 361 entries of which 358 were eligible to be judged. We had 72 winning entries. Of these 72 entries, 66 articles won that were written by 17 unique authors. Six (6) winning entries were either newsletters or journals.
- Margo Lee Williams of Silver Springs, MD, for a book entitled, FROM HILL TOWN TO STRIEBY: EDUCATION AND THE AMERICAN MISSIONARY ASSOCIATION IN THE UWHARRIE “BACK COUNTRY” OF RANDOLPH COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Published in 2016 by Backintyme Publishing, 1341 Grapevine Rd, Crofton, KY 42117. Price: $22 plus $4 shipping. Purchase from the publisher, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
- Betty J. Vaughn of Raleigh, NC, for a book entitled, THE INTREPID MISS LAROQUE.
Email: email@example.com . Publication Date: 19 July 2016. [Our office received this book as an ‘unpublished’ manuscript BEFORE the June 30, 2016 deadline. The final copy was published shortly thereafter. It was judged as an unpublished manuscript]. Published by: Total Recall, Irving, TX. Purchase from the publisher, Amazon, Barnes & Noble.
- Linda Willard of High Point, NC, for a book entitled, A J GRIFFIN & FAMILY, HIGH POINT NORMAL & INDUSTRIAL INSTITUTE, HIGH POINT, NC.
- Fred Epeley of Valdese, NC, for a book entitled, GROWING UP IN OTTIE’S WORLD.
Published on 13 May 2015. Published by: Create Space, Charleston, SC. Purchase from Barnes & Noble. Price: $17.95, plus $4.95 shipping. NC Residents add $1.25 sales tax.
- Larry Richard Clark of Morganton, NC, for a book entitled, TAWODI – CHEROKEE OF THE BLUE MOUNTAINS CONFRONT SPANISH CONQUISTADORS.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Published in 2015 as a paperback and ebook edition. Published by: Time Span Press, same address as the author. Purchase from: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, & other retailers. Price: $14 ppd.
- Alisah Horne of Wilkesboro, NC, for a book entitled, KIDS AND CORNBREAD CAKES.
- the late Thomas Paul Rumple for a book entitled, THE MOST MEMORABLE EVENTS OF MY LIFE … Harriet Schroeder, daughter, of Mooresville, NC.
Email: email@example.com .
- Theresa Spangler Lowe of Shelby, NC, for a book entitled, SPANGLER.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Published in 2015. Published by: Edwards Brothers Malloy, 900 Edwards Brothers Drive, PO Box 1027, Lillington, NC 27546-1027. Phone: 910-893-2717. Price: $25, plus $5 shipping. NC Sales Tax included.
- Alleghany Historical-Genealogical Society for the following two books, 1949 SPARTA SCHOOL YEARBOOK and THE ECHOS OF SPARTA HI, 1947.
Email: email@example.com.  Published in November, 2015;  Published in February 2016. Published by Star Route Books/Imaging Specialists, Inc., PO Box 533, Sparta, NC 28675. Purchase online at: shop.starroute.net. Price: $12.50, Shipping: $11.95. NC Residents add .84 sales tax.
- Meachele Mothership Montgomery of Crumpler, NC, for a book entitled, HEALING – MY JOURNEY HOME.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Published by: Star Route Books/Imaging Specialists, Inc., PO Box 533, Sparta, NC 28675. Purchase online at: shop.starroute.net
Price: $10, plus $11.95 shipping. NC Residents add .68 Sales tax.
- Imaging Specialists, Inc. of Sparta, NC, for a book entitled, BRINEGAR CABIN – AN HISTORIC RESOURCE, Jeff Halsey, Editor.
Email: email@example.com . Published: May 2016. Purchase from the publisher at: shop.starroute.net . Price: $20, plus $11.95 shipping. NC Residents add $1.35 sales tax.
- Marci Spencer of Old Fort, NC, for a book entitled, POTLUCK – MESSAGE DELIVERED: “THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS ARE SAVED!”
Published: July 2015. Purchase from the publisher or at www.amazon.com . Grateful Steps website: www.gratefulsteps.org . Price: $14.95 plus $3.99 shipping. NC Residents add 7% sales tax. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Connie Miller of Laurel Springs, NC, for a book entitled, WINDS OF HARMONY.
Published in October 2015. Published by: Star Route Books/Imaging Specialists, Inc., PO Box 533, Sparta, NC 28675. Purchase online at shop.starroute.net .
- Dale Wayne Slusser of Asheville, NC, for a book entitled, THE RAVENSCROFT SCHOOL IN ASHEVILLE.
- Sheridan R. "Butch" Barringer of Newport News, VA, for a book entitled, FIGHTING FOR GENERAL LEE.
The author has both 1st and 2nd editions available from him for $32.95 ppd. Send payment to: S. R. Barringer, 23 Horse Pen Rd, Newport News, VA 23602.
- Bobby Brown of Gastonia, NC, for a book entitled, SOME THINGS THAT COME WITH LIFE.
Published: March 2016. Purchase from the author, Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Price: $13.95 ppd. NC Residents add $1.20 sales tax.
- Charles C. Fletcher of Cleveland, TN, for a book entitled, A STORY AND A SMILE.
Email: email@example.com . Purchase books from the author, Ingram, Amazon.com, Baker & Taylor, Barnes & Noble. Price: $15.95.
- Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust & Randolph P. Shaffner of Highlands, NC, for a book entitled, FIRST CREATION: 100 YEARS OF LAND CONSERVATION.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Published by: Randolph P. Shaffner, dba Faraway Publishing, PO Box 765, Highlands, NC 28741. Purchase from: Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust, 348 S. 5th Street, Highlands, NC 28741-1703. Price: $49.95, plus $6.45 priority shipping. NC Residents add $3.37 sales tax.
- Gregory D. Smithers of Richmond, VA, for a book entitled, THE CHEROKEE DIASPORA.
Email: email@example.com . Published: September 29, 2015. Published by: Yale University Press, PO Box 29040, 304 Temple Street, New Haven, CT 06520-9040. Purchase from the publisher and wherever books are sold. Price: $40.
- Alen D. Baker of Huntersville, NC, for a book entitled, OUR FLY FISHING HERITAGE.
Website: www.flyfishingmuseum.org . Alen Baker, 13400 Hiwassee Rd, Huntersville, NC 28078-6235.
- Margaret Day Allen of Newton, NC, for a book entitled, HELP IN HARD TIMES – THE HISTORY OF SOCIAL SERVICES IN CATAWBA COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Published in late 2015. Published by the CCDSS. Purchase from: Catawba County Historical Association, PO Box 73, Newton, NC 28658. Price: $20 plus $6.80 shipping. NC Residents add $1.40 sales tax. Call 828-465-0383 to order or visit the Historical Museum in person.
- Patricia Baker of Maggie Valley, NC, for a book entitled, LITTLE VIRGINIA AND QUAKER MEADOWS.
Email: email@example.com . Published in May 2016. Published by: Createspace at www.createspace.com. Purchase at Amazon.com. Price: $17, plus $3 for shipping, NC residents add .75 sales tax.
- Maryann Sullivan of Thomasville, NC, for a book entitled, GRANDMAW’S PET SNAKE.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Published in June 2015. Published by: Diversified Graphics, Inc., Frank Goodnight, 700C N. Long Street, Salisbury, NC 28144. Purchase from the author. Price: $10.
- Nancy McEntee of Greenback, TN, for a book entitled, MOLSEY BLOUNT: THE COLONIAL FIRST LADY OF TENNESSEE …FROM NORTH CAROLINA TO THE FRONTIER OF TENNESSEE, HER LEGACY CONTINUES.”
Email: email@example.com . Published in October 2015 by Tate Publishing, 127 E. Trade Center Terrace, Mustang, OK 73064. Purchase from: Tate Publishing, Barnes & Noble, Amazon.
- Edie Hutchens Burnett of Canton, NC, for a book entitled, MOUNTAIN ECHOES.
Email: Ediehb58@bellsouth.net . Published in January 2016 by Jan-Carol Publishing, Inc., PO Box 701, Johnson City, TN 37605. Purchase from: Blue Ridge Books, Waynesville, NC 28786, Amazon. Price: $19.95 plus $2.95 shipping. NC Residents add $1.05 sales tax.
- Louisa Emmons for a book entitled, GLEN ALPINE SPRINGS HOTEL: A HISTORY OF BURKE COUNTY’S FINEST ACCOMMODATION.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Published on 10 December 2015 by Hollow Tree Press, Same address as author. Purchase from amazon.com or from the author. Price: $12 plus $4.98 shipping.
- Julia Taylor Ebel of Jamestown, NC, for a book entitled, MAX WOODY, CHAIR MAKER, A LEGACY IN WOOD. Email: email@example.com . Published in the summer of 2015. Self-Published with the assistance of Parkway Publishers. Rao Aluri – firstname.lastname@example.org . Purchase from the AUTHOR. Price: $16.95 plus $4 shipping. NC Residents add $1.14 sales tax.
- Zack Clark Allen of Crossnore, NC, for a book entitled, WILLIAM WALKER’S, THE CHRISTIAN HARMONY (2015 FOLK HERITAGE FACSIMILE EDITION).
Email: Zack@christianharmony1873.org . Published in November 2015 by Folk Heritage Books, same address as the author. Purchase from the author. Price: 22 plus $5.95 shipping. Visit: . OR www.christianharmony.org . OR www.qssingingschool.org .
- John Hood of Raleigh, NC, for a book entitled, CATALYST – JIM MARTIN AND THE RISE OF THE NORTH CAROLINA REPUBLICANS.
Published on October 1, 2015 by John F. Blair, Publisher 1406 Plaza Dr., Winston-Salem, NC 27103. Purchase from the publisher. Visit their website at: www.blairpub.com and wherever books are sold. Price: $28.95.
- Stephen Kirk of Winston-Salem, for a book entitled, VOICES FROM THE OUTER BANKS.
Email: email@example.com . Publicist: firstname.lastname@example.org . John F. Blair, Publisher, 1406 Plaza Drive, Winston-Salem, NC 27103. Purchase from the publisher at www.blairpub.com or wherever books are sold. Price: 12.97.
- Robin Spencer Lattimore of Rutherfordton, NC, for two books entitled, BELLES OF THE BACKCOUNTRY and CHIVALRY & HONOR, respectively.
Published by: Hilltop Publications/Rutherford Historical Society, PO Box 1044, Rutherfordton, NC 28139. Purchase from the author. Each book costs $15 with a $5 shipping fee (each).
- Teresa Jo Styles of Atlanta, GA, and Valerie Nieman of Greensboro, NC, for a book entitled, MENS ET MANUS: A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF NORTH CAROLINA AGRICULTURE AND TECHNICAL STATE UNIVERSITY.
[ADDITIONAL NOTE: Mens et manus is Latin for “Mind and Hand”]
Dr. Teresa Jo Styles, Phone: 336-974-2373. Email: email@example.com . Dr. Styles is a retired professor and former chair of the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication at NC A&T.
Dr. Valerie Nieman, Phone: 336-908-3976. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Professor Valerie Nieman currently teaches creative writing at NC A&T.
Book published 1 July 2015. Published by: The Donning Company Publishers, 184 Business Park Drive, Suite 206, Virginia Beach, VA 23462. Purchase from: Barnes & Noble at NC A&T State University, Brown Hall, 1601 East Market Street, Greensboro, NC 27401. Phone: 336-334-7593. Website: www.ncat.bncollege.com . Order online at: http://tinyurl.com/j4t9qsx . Price: $39.95 plus $7.50 shipping. NC Residents add $2.50 sales tax.
- Terry L. Harmon for a book entitled, WATAUGA COUNTY REVISITED.
Email: email@example.com . Published in April 2016 by Arcadia Publishing, 420 Wando Park Blvd, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464. Purchase from the publisher, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, any other book sellers. Price: $21.99.
- Betsy Dodd Pittman of Valdese, NC and Margaret Collins Richards of Morganton, NC, for a set of books entitled: TAX LISTS AND RELATED DOCUMENTS: OLD BURKE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, 1760-1839 & 1864, ANNOTATED – VOLUME 1: 1760-1814; VOLUME II: 1815-1827; and, VOLUME III: 1828-1839 & 1864, INDEX.
Betsy Dodd Pittman, Phone: 828-874-0661. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Margaret Collins Richards, Phone: 828-448-1828. Email: email@example.com . Published in June 2016. Published by: the authors in cooperation with the Burke County Genealogical Society, PO Box 661, Morganton, NC 28680. Purchase from the Genealogical Society. Price: $95 per set, plus $7 shipping. NC Residents add $6.41 sales tax.
- Carroll Jones of Morristown, TN, for a book entitled, REBEL ROUSERS.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Published in November 2015 by Jan-Carol Publishing, Inc., PO Box 701, Johnson City, TN 37605. Purchase at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, or from the author. Price: $14.95 plus $3 shipping. TN residents add $1.20 sales tax.
We had 116 entries, of which 111 were eligible. We have 39 winners, for 35 books.